Thursday, December 16, 2010

Nigeria Professor Dora Akunyili Resigns, and Joins APGA

SPECULATIONS were Wednesday laid to rest when President Goodluck Jonathan reluctantly accepted the resignation of the Minister of Information and Communication, Professor Dora Akunyili. Consequently, the President has approved the appointment of Minister of State in the Ministry, Mr Labaran Maku, as the substantive Minister. The new senior Minister is now to function without a Minister of State.

Akunyili, in an emotion-laden last briefing after the Federal Executive Council, FEC, disclosed that she was quitting both the government and the ruling People Democratic Party, PDP, in order to achieve her age-long ambition to become a senator.


According to her, she intends to defect to the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, where she hopes to realise the political dream to emerge as a senator representing Anambra Central Senatoral District.
Briefing State House correspondents, shortly after the FEC which was presided over by President Jonathan, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, Akunyili said her decision to resign and run for the position was borne out of her zeal to serve her people and Nigeria.


“Having reflected over the years about events in Nigeria and in particular my state, Anambra, I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed a defining moment in my life when I should make the sacrifice of leaving a comfortable place to go to a difficult terrain in order to build a better place for our children,” she said.
She stated further, “I have, therefore, decided to join my governor, Peter Obi, who is doing a great job in continuing to build Anambra State as an APGA senator. In this regard, I intend to pick the nomination form today (Wednesday) to run for the office of senator representing Anambra Central Senatorial District in the national assembly”.


Akunyili had earlier in her valedictory address to the FEC,  told colleagues “I am deeply grateful to you for giving me the opportunity to serve our dear country as minister of information and communications. I am equally grateful for the cooperation which you, the Vice President, who sees me as his own sister and my cabinet colleagues extended to me in the course of my duties, without which I would not have succeeded”.
She therefore sought the prayers and support of the council members in realising her political ambition.
“As I take this step, I solicit for your prayers and other forms of support. I am making this request because you are my people and my immediate constituency”, Akunyili said.


“Today is therefore a very emotional day for me in council. This is because I have been so closely bonded to most of you that my departure is like leaving a family. My heart is so heavy because in this council, I have found comfort and friendship,” she said.


Maku said President Jonathan reluctantly accepted the resignation of the former minister because of her quality service to the nation but added that since she was in quest of higher political, the president had not alternative than to allow her go.


While wishing Akunyili well in her political journey, the new minister noted that why they worked together as colleagues he enjoyed the best of relationship with the outgoing minister.


Nigeria Professor Dora Akunyili Resigns, and Joins APGA - News Desk 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails